Sports Premium - 2018/2019
The government is providing additional funding to schools to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. This funding is to be spent on improving the provision of PE and sport in schools.
We must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport we offer.
This means that we should use the premium to:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- build capacity and capability within the school to ensure that improvements made now will benefit pupils joining the school in future years
There are 5 key indicators that schools should expect to see improvement across:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
We intend to utilise this money in the following way:
- Buying into the Premium service level agreement with Gateshead Council.
- Providing opportunities for all children to participate in competitive sports.
- Developing a program of out of school activities to encourage all children to take part.
- Maintaining close links with the Gateshead Senators and Jacksonville Jaguars UK, with each class receiving a full term's coaching.
- Employing specialist coaches to work alongside teaching staff, with the aim of teachers being able to replicate this high quality teaching in future years.
- Paying for professional development opportunities for teachers in PE and sport.
- Supporting our application for the School Games Gold award status with a view to moving towards Platinum status.
- Working closely alongside Newcastle United Foundation to offer specialist teaching and coaching in school.
The impact of this provision will be monitored throughout the year by the Headteacher and PE co-ordinator. Details of the work that is going on in school can be found in the detailed action plans and reports below.